Monday, November 3, 2008

She's a genius!

Marcy is catching on to clicker training beautifully, and quickly learned that if she sits and looks me in the face (giving me her full attention) it makes me click and give her a treat.

I decided to teach her "down". So tonight I leashed her to the piano and sat 4 feet away, and waited. She was puzzled. She sat and stared at me, and I did not respond. Hmmmm. Not knowing what else to do, she lay down. I immediately clicked and tossed a treat to her about a foot away (causing her to stand up to get it). She caught on immediately, and started offering me the "down" again and again, getting a click and treat each time. After about 12 successful repetitions, I started putting the word to it, saying "down" AS she was doing it.

We did this for about 4 minutes, and quit. 2 hours later, we did it again in a different room, with me sitting nearby, standing up, on her left side, on her right side, in front of her, etc.-- changing my body position relative to hers. No problem. She gets it.

She's a very quick learner, and is loving this positive method of training.


Marcy is available through Rover Rescue, at
www.roverrescue.com. Please help her find a great home and donate to support our efforts.

No comments: